eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Saturday, July 29, 2006

ahh, why did you have go and annoy me?

Here's a nifty idea for a blog.
Rhys wants to get a blog from each of the Countries/Territories in the Blogspot.com profiles.
So I decided to join up and mentioned that I was Irish but lived in Canada. There were about 3 or 4 other people interested in the Canada spot and it was suggested that perhaps I could take the Irish connection.
All fine and dandy.
There were a few other people in similar situations, from one place and living in another. They have taken whichever spot. There are still lots of empty places so if anyone knows people in the relevant country send them over to the site.
Then yesterday I went back to check the progress and in the comments was this little remark from someone called dr. a.
"it's a real pity that Amanda is not from Ireland unless it is now a state of Canada instead of the USA. :-o " and then a link to his/her site.

Well.

First off, they are called provinces and territories in Canada not states.
And second, as anyone who knows an Irish person is aware, don't ever, and I mean ever, say we are not Irish. The Canadians have a similar thing about being called American. And the Portuguese with Spanish and probably everywhere else too.
I left a comment on the World of Bloggers site, but it's set with comment moderator so it didn't show up.
I understand that, it's Rhys' site and he can make that decision.
I emailed dr.a. to ask for an explaination as to why he/she knew more about my nationality than me.
"I was confused by the comment you left on the World of Bloggers blog site.> I was born in Ireland and the only passport I hold is my Irish one.> I moved to Canada 8 months ago.> So how exactly am I not Irish?> Amanda Foley"
and got a reply
"Sorry in your profile you say you are living in Toronto, Canada no mention of Ireland and I didn't read the comments at the top of your blog. I was in the office and didn't have time to fully read your blog. My apologies."

Now, my dilemma.
I could write back and point out that leaping to conclusions from one word is not a great idea, that we don't have states in Canada and accept the apology.
or
Do nothing.

5 Comments:

At Sat Jul 29, 11:50:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My words of wisdom as an Irishman is to rip them a new one!
Seriously!, everyone on the planet with even a modicum of brain power knows not to say anything bad about Ireland or Irish people.

Only other Irish are allowed to do that.
E

 
At Sun Jul 30, 04:18:00 a.m., Blogger Kathy said...

Groucho Marx told the following story about his years in vaudeville.
A man goes up to noted (at that time)dancer Joe Frisco and asks "How do you get to Bellvue Hospital?"
He replied "Stand on this corner and holler "To hell with the Irish!"

Being French/Irish (County Roscommon) I have always loved that story. Rip them, Amanda!!

Signed,
Taffy
The only sane person in my house in my opinion

 
At Sun Jul 30, 07:43:00 a.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Ask this person to leave another comment on the World of Bloggers site, apologising for being a f*&kwit.

 
At Sun Jul 30, 01:20:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

E and Taffy, it's tempting.
Sandra, the voice of reason!
I think I'll just let it go.
they apologised and are not worth any more of my time.

 
At Mon Jul 31, 10:11:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

they fucked up, you called them on it, they appologised.

hell, to me that's a desirable result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home