eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Monday, May 15, 2006

Running with scissors

I've been putting off going to the hairdressers, in fact not been at all since we got here and for a couple of months before that, so at a guess, I'd say it's at least 8 months since I had a haircut.
There are a few things putting me off, 1) here, they call a fringe- bangs, right? yeah, no way I can say that, I have enough problems with communication with hairdressers(more in a minute). 2)I'm a bit nervous of hairdressers(all will become clear) and 3) by now my hair is a bit of a state.
See, there seems to be a translation problem with me and hairstylists, something happens between what I say and what they hear, for example:
I say - just a little off the length and the layers
he hears - could you make me look like a clown's apprentice

I say- a little shorter thanks
he hears - no, more like I've had brain surgery

I say - just a trim, please
she hears - if you could make it hard for me to appear in public that would be great.

I say - of course it's not ok, I look like a mushroom
he hears - that's perfect, take my money

over the years this had lead to some, erm, interesting do's.
after one, in London, I took to wearing hats for a few weeks.
And don't get me started on the number of earrings that have been ripped out and once, one 'stylist'I shall call Nervous McStabby, cut my ear! There was blood. Don't know about you but I don't expect to come out of the hairdressers with a band-aid.
I've tried taking photographs along, going midweek afternoons so they are not rushed and eventually found a good place. Three and a half thousand miles is too far to go for a haircut.
So how do I find a stylist, in Toronto, who listens, doesn't want to cut 5 inches off every time I go for a trim and who doesn't have their own agenda?

10 Comments:

At Tue May 16, 12:09:00 a.m., Blogger bricotrout said...

this was absolutely the funniest post i have read in a long time. i trust its okay to link it at The Nut?

 
At Tue May 16, 12:21:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

erm, yeah, sure.
in fact, i'd be honoured:-)

 
At Tue May 16, 01:19:00 a.m., Blogger Red said...

A woman I work with said, "The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is two weeks".

 
At Tue May 16, 02:52:00 a.m., Blogger Omar said...

Linked at The Nut? Is this a good thing?
I'd walk softly and carry a big hockey stick.

 
At Tue May 16, 05:49:00 p.m., Blogger oregoncelticlady said...

Tha Nut rocks...so glad he sent me here!

 
At Tue May 16, 06:10:00 p.m., Blogger Biscuit said...

LOL, now I know why Brico said he couldn't relate! Ohhhh, the haircut woes I've had! I feel your pain.

 
At Tue May 16, 09:55:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

good to hear I'm not alone in the hair woes

 
At Fri May 19, 06:48:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll cut your hair. I'm not professional, but I'll give you rum during the procedure.
Heretic.

 
At Fri May 19, 07:12:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes. I just followed a couple of links to something awful (good old internet) and now I think my post looks creepy. Only to let you know I was just being silly... Your blog is hilarious by the way - keep it up.

 
At Sat May 20, 04:46:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

yep, good ole www!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home