eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, July 28, 2006

lesser known opera

If your job was to type the closed captions/subtitles for television programs you'd check your spelling right?
I will never win any spelling bees and am always making mistakes (I am mildly dyslexic though and don't always see them). Most of my mistakes are from just not checking what I've written, so for anything important, I check.
From a TV show earlier this evening:
Female character: that was lie I'm not busy Thursday, actually I do like the opera, my favourite is Die Fledermaus.
the caption read : that was a lie I'm not busy Thursday, actually I do like opera, my favourite is Dave Flaydermus.
Dave
Now, don't get me wrong the only reason I know how to spell it is because of Frasier.
And the only time I have ever been to the opera I didn't have a clue what was going on. In my defence it was a few years ago, in Budapest, the opera was in Italian( I think) and the dot matrix translation was in Hungarian.
Luckily the venue was spectacular and all in all it was worth every forint of the 5 quid it cost.

4 Comments:

At Fri Jul 28, 07:26:00 a.m., Blogger Аглаша said...

Take it off from your head.
I've never wrote right in Russian, but now my grammar and spelling is right. (May be because my wife is corrector and has degree in Russian language)...
Imagine my writiting subtitles in English and you'll feel much better!
:)

 
At Fri Jul 28, 08:05:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

I believe Dave Flaydermus played for Buffalo in the 60's. Forgot his cup one day and took a slapshot to the groin. Switched to opera the following season.

 
At Fri Jul 28, 07:51:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

aglasha- your English will always be better than my Russian.
Joe- you know I'm going to waste time googling to see if there really was a Dave Flaydermus now, don't you?

 
At Tue Aug 08, 08:36:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

Dave! hi.
my Hungarian stopped at good morning, it was Iain going 'moo' at the shopkeeper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home