eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Opa!

We live just off the Danforth, which this weekend is closed off for the taste of the Danforth street festival.
That's not exactly a secret and there were hundreds of people out strolling and tasting the food all along the street. In fact there were so many people that this guy
was doing good business in tall balloon hats to help friends spot each other in the crowd.


This was one of those occasions where being vegetarian was not an advantage as most of the food was Greek and therefore, lamb featured heavily along with the usual chicken/pork alternatives. (I was reminded of the bit in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, which was filmed around here, where she announces the boyfriend is vegetarian and one of the aunties say's -no problem, I'll make lamb).



The Mariachi band
were very good and very popular but my spanish wasn't up to singing along.










I was tempted to have a go at the racing cow game though.
Especially as the prize for winning was one of those very cute husky dog toys, see there, at the top of the picture.




The whole thing continues for the rest of the weekend but also on this weekend is the hot and spicy food festival, so how can I miss that one?
The racing cows will have to wait.

6 Comments:

At Sat Aug 12, 04:35:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

I'll try the cantaloupe but the calamari is a no-go unless they do tofu calamari?

 
At Sat Aug 12, 11:24:00 p.m., Blogger Kathy said...

Have fun! I would just go straight to the baklava!

Taffy

 
At Sun Aug 13, 06:02:00 a.m., Blogger Sandra said...

I was at the hot and spicy tonight and the food wasn't really anything special. Mine was neither hot nor spicy...nice atmosphere but it sounds like the Danforth was a better bet. Have you been to the Chinese lantern festival yet? I think there is food at it too.

 
At Mon Aug 14, 03:58:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

I had a carribean veggie roti which was good but not too special as you said. the hot sauce tent had some very spicy stuff, but over-all a bit underwhelmed.
Danforth was packed the whole weekend.

 
At Wed Aug 16, 03:52:00 a.m., Blogger Pizza Cutter said...

My mother had a similar reaction when I brought my wife home and told her that she's a vegetarian. She said "I'll make some tuna salad."

 
At Wed Aug 16, 06:26:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

yep! I have had someone make tuna salad 'just for me' and argue that I could have the chicken...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home