eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

a project

The other day, on a blog I sometimes check, there was a post about this.
Project 2996 is all about getting bloggers to write a memorial profile for each one of the people killed in the attacks of 9/11 on the anniversary this year.
You sign up and are randomly given the name of the person and a little bit of information to get you started.
Being a bit impulsive, I went ahead and signed up.
Then, later, thinking about it and speaking to the hubby I was not so sure.
As an idea and a memorial it has a lot of merit, but....
Why should this group of people who died because of a terrorist attack be exalted in such a significant way? Yes they died horribly and I'm sure to their friends and family they will and should be missed and their memories honoured.
But is this really the way? By strangers who knew nothing about them?

Then there is the other part of this that makes me uncomfortable. What about the people who died in the Oklahoma bombing, or Madrid trains or London transport bombings?
Do they get a project too?
I know they numbers don't compare but surely it's not about numbers.
And if it is, what about the thousands of children who die every single day from malnutrition or diarrheoa or lack of clean water.

All I know is that I have now asked to withdraw from the project.

6 Comments:

At Tue Aug 08, 07:34:00 a.m., Blogger Steve said...

IMHO, the right decision was to withdraw.

You might find Conspicuous Compassion by Patrick West an interesting read.

 
At Tue Aug 08, 03:52:00 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

A tricky one, this - but I think you were right and commend you for withdrawing. Difficult to do.

 
At Tue Aug 08, 11:33:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

I can see it being more important for Americans because it was an attack on America itself and can be compared in a way to Pearl Harbour.

 
At Wed Aug 09, 01:08:00 a.m., Blogger Kathy said...

While a noble idea, I agree that having a memorial written by a stranger seems a bit hollow. Right after the attacks the obituaries were published- about 20 a day. There was a real focus on who these people were- a lady who was a devoted Yankees fan, a man who was an avid fisherman (then only a brief mention that they worked for Cantor Fitzgerald or the Port Authority, for example) It was a very moving tribute- dignified and truly conveyed the sense of loss.
I agree with you, Amanda, that every victim of an attack should be mourned and their life celebrated...actually, every life, no matter how they died should be remembered.
It will be interesting to see how the American press handles this anniversary- and how much Americans can handle watching. I watch the reading of the names every year and tear up.
So I applaud the effort but totally respect your withdrawl from it.

Taffy

 
At Wed Aug 09, 03:20:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

thanks for the support and maybe I'll learn to think things through before the fact.

 
At Thu Aug 10, 06:20:00 a.m., Blogger Terra Shield said...

I would have signed up for it in a jiffy too, then most probably regret the decision for the rest of the day/week/month...

I suppose withdrawing would be a good idea... It's just too weird writing a memorial profile for a total stranger :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home