eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wednesday's child is full of woe

According to the plan Wednesday is when I update on my progress(!) in the job hunt.
The reason I have not updated on this is because there has been damn-all progress.
My local Subway sandwich shop had a help wanted sign in the window. Nobody wants to give me a lab job so I thought I'd try something casual just to bring in some cash.
I asked in the shop if they had application forms or wanted resumes.
A resume highlighting my basic food hygiene certificate and food science/microbiology background was handed over the next day.
I waited.
Two weeks later and a couple of visits to the shop I finally speak to the manager again. It's taken a couple of visits because none of the staff speak English as a first language.
Me: Hello, I gave you a copy of my resume a couple of weeks ago, to apply for the job.
The manager: Yes....
Me: and I haven't heard anything.
The manager: I sent all the resumes to the owner last Friday.
Me: I see.
The manager: so if he has not contacted you, he must not be wanting you.
Me: ok, thanks anyway.

Not qualified to make sandwiches.
Bit depressing, I can tell you.

2 Comments:

At Sun Nov 19, 09:56:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

they wouldn't hire you because they know you'd be gone as soon as you could...and you'd probably also know your rights and shit.

for casual work you'd do really well at a video shop.

Have you tried heavy manufacturing? They use lab people for testing etc

 
At Mon Nov 20, 06:18:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

SJ- thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home