eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

late night television


What a strange group of people the late-night television programers are.

Or rather what a stranger group they think they cater to. Several channels with 'paid advertising', hour-long infomercials and the rest.

Tonight it was SMC. Obviously the only people watching TV at 4 am are the ones who want to sell what I can only imagine is tacky crap. The whole thing was how I could have 'the life style I want and deserve' accompanied by pictures of other people who had started their own businesses, lying in a hammock, putting their feet up on the desk or having the time to play frisbee with the kids.

Why do I think it's tacky crap? Because there were practically no clues as to what these 'quality products' that I could make up to 300% profit were.

I had to turn it off only to be assaulted by Donald Trump. Not literally, he didn't walk in to my house or anything. I can't stand 'The Donald' as he is refered to for some reason, so if he had walked in to my house, well let's just say I wouldn't be offering him a cup of tea.

No, he was shouting in his pouty way, about The Learning Annex. One weekend can make me a millionaire. I won't forget you all.
Some other nut job was stating the fact that the big pharmaceutical companies control everything. They control the newspapers and the radio and had tried to silence him to prevent him talking about his snake oil, sorry his drug free whatever for $39.95.
Then there was the regular ads, of which there are soooo many here in Canada. An hour long program might have up to 8 ad breaks. Some of them are entertaining, though not always for the reason they think. Like the one for Alarm Force. You can see the guy who does the ad at the beginning if the clip here. That is just a taster, on the full TV ad he is so stiff he looks like he is hooked up to the power mains. And then there is the annoying jingle. It's so bad that even Mr. eh doesn't sing it and he loves to sing advertising jingles.

Does anyone know what the official line is on who advertisers think is watching TV at 4 am?

5 Comments:

At Thu Mar 01, 11:08:00 p.m., Blogger Steve said...

4:55am? Were you up watcing 'Sneakers' on TBS too?

My favorite infomerical is either the one for the 'Q-ray' bracelet or the police foundations training course.

 
At Fri Mar 02, 02:27:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

nah, Steve, I gave up and put a DVD on instead.
Have you seen the one for some 'aesthics clinic', can't remember the name of it, but they have made Layla 'a very successful business woman'. I have to mute it everytime.

 
At Fri Mar 02, 08:21:00 p.m., Blogger Steve said...

I'll have to look for that one... I think the 'career' ones are the worse in general.

 
At Thu Jun 16, 03:49:00 a.m., Anonymous Access Control said...

Great post. I have been searching for this exact info for a while now. I will bookmark it in the public bookmarking sites to get you more traffic.

 
At Thu Jul 25, 11:09:00 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I have read given your blog I am interested in reading about more of the similar topics and would like to have further information on the same subject. Hope to see the next blog soon. Thanks for sharing.

Home Security Systems Toronto

 

Post a Comment

<< Home