eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Because, I've angered the Karma Gods, and you're my punishment


I have to walk past the subway station to get to the supermarket and just recently there have been a rash of God-botherers.

( I wonder what the collective noun is, troop maybe or an exaltation?)

The weather here is postively balmy at PLUS 2 degrees C. The first above freezing temp in ages, and the sun was shining. I'm telling you this to in some way explain my lapse in concentration.

You see I forgot two important rules.

1. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

2. There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'


Walking back from said supermarket, carrying a shopping bag in each hand, singing a little to myself as I often do, I'm brought to an unexpected stop by a small pamphlet shoved almost inside my coat.

And the words " JesusChristLordAndSaviour" muttered at me.

Did I mention that both hands were full?

Now I'd already said a polite no thanks when I walked past him on the way to the supermarket, what made him think in the intervening 20 minutes I would have changed my mind? Am I supposed to have had a vision in the frozen food aisle? Seen the error of my ways while selecting mushrooms?

Don't get me wrong, I have complete respect for other peoples religious beliefs, all I ask is some in return.

So, I may have been a little snippy when I said 'No thanks I'm Buddhist'.

He said ' Jesus Christ is the only Lord and Saviour' as he starts following me.

Do you see the fatal flaw he made there?

(At this point in writing this, I can almost feel/hear my brother and sister back in Dublin cringing and start to feel sorry for the guy)

What did I say?

What the (expletive deleted) are you doing, you (humourous expletive deleted)? Get the hell away from me!


That's some bad karma I've collected there.

5 Comments:

At Thu Feb 22, 08:30:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

no can't say i was cringing ,just realised we are more alike than i ever thought!!!

s

 
At Thu Feb 22, 09:30:00 p.m., Blogger David Todd said...

I believe there is another way to approach this. It's called 'Bible Bashing' were you purchase a Bible, if you haven't already got one.You carry the Bible with you at all times and if you end up in a similar situation as to what you've just mentioned, you bash them over the head with a Bible.

 
At Fri Feb 23, 09:36:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll addmit to a slight cringe, almost like watching Goodfellas and seening someone mess with Tommy...

Could try telling him you worship the Hawk and see what he thinks of that next time.

E

 
At Fri Feb 23, 01:33:00 p.m., Blogger Mark Dowling said...

maybe we could put it out to tender - like buskers in the TTC. Put all the godbotherers and pro-atheismers in one place and let them have at each other. Whoever ends up with more adherents than they started with gets sole rights to bother people for the next 12 months.

If only the pesky Charter would allow it...

 
At Sat Feb 24, 12:15:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

S, I'll bet you never thought that would happen.
cybez, excellent suggestion! I always wondered what bible bashing meant.
E, I think thats the first time Ive been called a Goodfella...
Mark, time for a change in the charter for just such an occasion. I can't see the TTC or the average Canadian going for it somehow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home