eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Thursday, February 08, 2007

UoooPS

From the UPS website:
2005 Revenue: $42.6 billion
Employees: 427,700 Worldwide (360,600 U.S.; 67,100 International)
Package Operations
2005 Delivery Volume: 3.75 billion packages and documents
Daily Delivery Volume: 14.8 million packages and documents
Daily U.S. Air Volume: 2.2 million packages and documents
Daily International Volume: 1.5 million packages and documents
Service Area: More than 200 countries and territories; every address in North America and EuropeCustomers: 7.9 million daily (1.8 million pick-up, 6.1 million delivery)
and
Canada Delivery Fleet: 2,521 (package cars, tractor, vans and trailers)
All sounds quite impressive doesn't it? even if they do have those nasty brown uniforms.
So with all these resources, expertise and experience in delivering packages, is it unreasonable of me to expect them to deliver a package?

A week ago, Susie-from-UPS left a message on my phone. They had tried to deliver a package to my old address only to be told that we had moved so she proceeds to ask me to call back, and recites a tracking number for me. This tracking number is 19 digits long. Seriously.
My dyslexia makes it difficult for me to follow a standard phone number of 7 or more numbers so 19 is just taking the piss. I listened to the message three times and still couldn't get it.
I rang them back and explained that I'd got this message and that I didn't have a complete tracking number. (had to own up to the dyslexia at that point)
Now, the apartment block we used to live in was, I think, 21 floors, with several apartments per floor. Even so, realistically, how many packages would UPS be delivering there in one day?
Let's be generous and say - 10.
How many to the fifteenth floor?
Again, on the generous side - 2.
So why is it if I can give them the full address, including postcode and apartment number, and at least a third of the tracking number, why can't they find the package?
I leave my phone number (which they already had, remember) and new address and wait for them to get back to me "by tomorrow".
5 days later I decide to phone them back.
It was like a time warp.
Same questions all over again. When I pointed out to Richard that I had already given all these details to his co-worker several days ago all I got was one of those nervous laughs.
Next day, pounding on the front door.
Before I can open the door all the way I can see the nasty brown uniform as it disappears back in to the nasty brown van. He just left the package on the door step.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home