eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, January 26, 2007

brrrr

Today, according to that little weather yoke over there in the sidebar, it was -13C and feeling -24C (I think that's about -10 American). While not quite the coldest place on Earth, I think most people would agree that it's really fairly chilly, you know, cold enough that you might need a scarf.
So, not surprisingly I wasn't too keen to go outside.
I wasn't alone in my reluctance.
This presented a bit of a dilemma unfortunately, as there was not very much food in the fridge.
I briefly considered an Elvis sandwich, which according to legend is the grilled banana and peanut butter sandwich (recipe here ).
I didn't, had an omlette instead, quite good, come round I'll make you one.
Anyway I got to thinking about National dishes. Lots of countries have a traditional stew-type dish -Irish stew, goulash, scouse, borscht even curry and chilli could be considered to be in the same group. But I couldn't think if there was a Canadian version.
Turns out there are lot of traditional foods, depending on the area of this vast country, but no stew type dish.
And now I wondering why?
Does anyone know?

2 Comments:

At Fri Jan 26, 04:00:00 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Ribs? I don't know. Maybe because it's a relatively recently-settled country, and everyone stuck to their own national stew-type dish?

 
At Sat Jan 27, 12:26:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

all the good stews were taken. they tried a moose-beaver-doughnut stew, but it didn't sell except in Newfoundland where they are poor and normally only eat potatoes that wash ashore

 

Post a Comment

<< Home