eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, January 19, 2007

I don't like musicals

I don't like musicals.
I did like Moulin Rouge.
And Chicago.
I suppose The Happiness of the Katakuris and Beyond The Sea are technically musicals and I liked them too.
But still I say that I don't like musicals.
So why do I love Bollywood films?
It all started with Lagaan. Three and three-quarter hours later I was hooked. And it's about cricket!
Since then I have seen quite a few more, some old, like Mother India (I was the only person in the cinema for that one) some new like Water. (yeah, I know it's not a 'Bollywood' film, in fact it's Canadian....)
I have also got quite a few on DVD including some I didn't get a chance to watch before we moved here. The new DVD player (a total bargain for $38) plays all of my discs and I settled down to watch one of Shahrukh Khan's earlier films, Darr.
I have had a few problems with Bollywood films on DVD in the past, even when there is a big sticker on the front delaring 'English subtitles' sometimes the subtitles are missing.
All was well with Darr, until well past the 2 hour mark. Then, the person doing the subtitles must have gone home early, thinking 'well, that will do, I'm sure they can figure out how the bad-guy-stalker gets found out without the dialogue'.
I mostly sort of did but still....

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 22, 08:40:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

when I was a student I used to borrow a car now and then from the Indian shopkeeper across the street, in return for driving his relatives on errands.

There would be me and 4 old Indians packed into the Nissan going to the Indian deli and the Indian tailor's and the Indian video shop...all with the tapedeck blaring either Bollywood tunes or muslim religious jingles.

 
At Tue Jan 23, 06:13:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

I can just picture you all doing the "pat the dog with one hand screw in a lighbulb with the other" dance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home