eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, May 26, 2006

life is a rollercoaster

The past couple of days have been very up and down with a few Things That Made Me Smile, from here on - THMMS, and Things That Pissed Me Off,- THPMO.
I'll explain.
TTPMO 1: A guy from a wilderness charity at the door who talked for a full 5 minutes about butterflies and trout and I had to interrupt to tell him that as I am unemployed I couldn't afford a subscription/whatever he was selling. He then told me that a simple donation would do.
TTPMO 2: Monster.ca. Registered with this job website months ago with all my details (medical research, lab technician yadda yadda) and all they send me is details of sales jobs.
TTPMO 3: The title for this post, for some reason as soon as I thought of ups and downs that Ronan Keating song got stuck in my head on an endless loop.
and so to
TTMMS 1: Walking away from the sanctimonious wilderness-charity-guy.
TTMMS 2: At least a couple of times a week someone mistakes Iain's accent for Australian. So this time he said, yes he was from Brisbane. They had a bit of a chat about Australia and this guy wanted to know why he would leave there to come here. Iain told him the skiing was better here. He has never been skiing. Ever.
TTMMS 3: Listening to the two guys fixing my porch roof sing along to Billy Idol's White Wedding and then Lou Reed's Take a Walk on the Wild Side.
TTMMS 4: Seeing a racoon for the first time, a whole one, alive and not in the form of a hat. It was in the tree outside our house and Iain has called it Ronnie.
More smile things, thats good.
and if the charity guy comes back I'll set the racoon on him.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Fri May 26, 09:10:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

what I'm finding amazing is that no Canadian (including me) ever thought of the name "eh" for anything...blog, magazine, TV show, Sunday newspaper suppliment etc.

You should copyright it! Imagine if every Canuck had to pay you 4 cents whenever they said "eh".

Then you wouldn't need a job.

 
At Fri May 26, 12:24:00 p.m., Blogger Cici said...

TTMS 1) this post.

Yes i use the ole I am unemployed and can't give you money thing all the time. And I'm Not Embarrassed About It.
I am embarrassed about telling a homeless guy with pee stains that i needed my money more than he did. That was mean. And probably not true.

 
At Fri May 26, 04:24:00 p.m., Blogger Sweary said...

TTMMS: I got an aquarium today. Oh, and I have two teenage rats, called Paulie Walnuts and Silvio. They rawk. My dog too. He walks into things. He's such a nimrod.

TTPMO: The woman in the bakery this morning who got all snotty with me because my banknote was too big and she had to walk 5 feet to get some change from the other till. I battered her to death with my demi-pan. She is now a dead bread head.

 
At Fri May 26, 07:28:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

skookumjoe, if you can figure out how I can copyright it I'll give you a 20% cut.
blue, yeah I'd feel bad about the homeless guy but this guy wanted me to feel sorry for butterflies. I don't even like butterflies.
spirit, lots of people are exempt from having to signal, and have certificates to prove it, I think....
and swearing lady, your TTPMO made me laugh!

 
At Sat May 27, 04:37:00 a.m., Blogger Kathy said...

TTPMO- people who use annoying catchprases. I once got an email from one of my daughter's teachers about her missing an assignment. She said that her being responsible for the work was important to the "stakeholders in the education process." I now refer to the woman as Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

TTMMS- A "Law and Order" marathon, my dog, my kids (most of the time), and having someone actually thank me for helping them.

 
At Sat May 27, 11:29:00 a.m., Blogger Omar said...

Well, I don't know if I'm always a good read, but thanks Amanda!

 
At Wed May 31, 01:54:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

taffy- wtf are stakeholders in education anyway, jeez. You can borrow the racoon if you like.
dedalus- England to Canada is not too much of a shock, bit more or a change for you!

 
At Wed May 31, 07:29:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda
I just had to reply when I saw a Ronan reference!! I cannot stand him - Karl thinks I protest so much that I secretly fancy him but he is soo wrong!I can't look at, listen to or read about him without breaking out in a rash!
Glad to see your oirish wit and writing skills are as good as ever. I hope the job search yields fruit eventually - social commentator might be a thought!

Slan!

 
At Thu Jun 01, 06:55:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

Hi Gail!
is Ronan still the Most Hated Man In Ireland?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home