eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, May 19, 2006

licence to maim

for fecks sake, what is it with people and umbrellas?
I have never been what you might call a spokesman for the Umbrella industry, but after years of keeping quiet (well, walking along muttering under my breath) I am now taking up a petition.
Yes that's right, firm action.
Bet Big Umbrella is shaking in their boots.
It takes me as long as the next woman to straigten my hair, so if it's raining I wear a hat (usually my long suffering bowler), I don't choose to cause havoc on the streets.
So, back to the petition.
From now on, in order to carry an umbrella everyone must first pass some basic tests and be issued a licence to carry. Nothing too difficult, things like being able to see other people, not shaking water all over everyone in an eight foot radius, stuff like that.
The full course will include training in :
It's only water.
Just because it's raining it does not mean there is no one else on the street.
How not to stab people in the head with the damn spikes. (Unless it's that Bulgarian/assassin thing, can't remember the details, should probably have googled it)
Walking when there is a slight breeze.

When all parts of the course have been successfully completed, you get your licence and go out there and enjoy.
Of course anyone carrying a golf umbrella automatically invalidates any licence. The clue is in the name. Now, I don't care if you are Baron Von Golf Course do not use a golf umbrella in the street. You muppet.
I can do random spot checks for valid licences, it's not like I have a lot else on until someone gives me the lab job that currently evades me. Does the job come with a gun?

6 Comments:

At Fri May 19, 08:07:00 p.m., Blogger Omar said...

Hi Amanda,
You come from the Land of Umbrellas, no? In 2003 I spent 6weeks in London where the temperature ranged between 17c-21c everyday! It rained, and I have no way of knowing if this was normal or not, three times! In those weeks I saw more hats, overcoats, scarves, gloves and umbrellas then I've seen in my life! I'm a Canadian! 20 degrees Celsius? No jacket, short sleeves and occasionally shorts. Had to give up on the shorts though as I was tired of being whispered about and it was a little chilly as the Tube came blustering to a stop. Any who...cheerio!

 
At Fri May 19, 08:12:00 p.m., Blogger Omar said...

oops, I forgot to mention that the 6weeks was from the last week of September to first week of November.

 
At Fri May 19, 09:39:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

yeah, it rains a lot in Ireland and England.International licencing is call for. so, lots ot travel for me and 'travelling spirit' as we go around the world....

 
At Sat May 20, 11:59:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

funny you mention the Bulgarian Incident - who have you been talking to?

 
At Sun May 21, 04:12:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

skookumjoe- that's why I had to comment on your blog when i found it today!

 
At Sat May 27, 02:17:00 a.m., Blogger Lulu said...

LOL great one. Hello Amanda, I am Lulu, 'the haircut' one, and I was wondering if you would let me reproduce your entry in my last entry (they are somehow, related), of course giving you full credit for it!!!!

My vote to you!!!!! I would say even more, to the fire with all of them! (the umbrellas, not the carriers ... ooops)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home