eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'd like to thank the Academy...

On Monday we went to the cinema to see Thank You for Smoking. I'm not going to review it, I decided not to blog about films, there are many, many review sites out there or even just click on the Internet Movie Database over there under my links.
Back in Leeds I used to go to the cinema about 3 times a week, now, that's more like 3 times a month. Lots of reasons.
But as usual for me I've got it the wrong way round. I should be going more here.
People here in Toronto, usually go to watch the film, not chat to each other or on the phone, like in Leeds. And if someone does talk, it's not just me asking them to be quiet. And, this is the best bit, they will stop talking! In Leeds if I dared to ask the chattering chav to be quiet I was either ignored or told to feck off(it was worse that that Ted, the bad f word).
Canadians don't go to the cinema to eat either. There will be the usual, popcorn or a drink but not the moving feast. More than once I have had to open the door for people with a vat of coke and barrel of popcorn, unable to get in to the cinema.
Or that small group of people who used to go to the Hyde Park with the crinkly bag full of INDIVUALLY CRINKLY WRAPPED TOFFEES who just loved sitting behind me.
Of course it's not perfect, at the film on Monday, one guy loudly proclaimed 'that's Robert Duvall'. Which doesn't compare to the time I had to endure a full running commentary of The Grudge - 'oh she's going to go through the door..........'
We all have our moments, even me (but Amanda, it can't be, I hear you cry). My embarrasing cinema moment - I was watching my third or fourth horror film in the space of a couple of weeks and there was one scene, built up very well, main character, alone in her apartment, very quiet, no music just some distant traffic noise, camera gradually moves in for a close up of our leading lady and in the corner of the room, out of focus, is a fast movement of something large and not-human like....cue me saying, louder than I thought 'oh, holy crap no'.
Luckily there were only about 5 other people in the cinema so I didn't have to wait too long for everyone to leave at the end.

4 Comments:

At Wed May 24, 08:17:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

I once rode 4 hours on a bus, at night. It had TV monitors, but no film. Just 4 monitors playing static with the sound turned way up. The bus driver would not turn it off. I asked him to turn it off. He said he would turn it off. He did not turn it off.

I grew to hate that man.

 
At Wed May 24, 03:50:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

I think I was on that bus! do you think the drivers get training in driving people mad(do you see what I did there, huh? driving...sorry not very funny, I'll shut up now)

 
At Wed May 24, 05:08:00 p.m., Blogger Omar said...

Well feck going to the movies in the UK then. I don't don't go in my own country because I can't stand being in a room full of strangers talking, eating, coughing, nose-blowing, kicking my chair, etc, etc...A Leeds experience would likely see me in jail for the night.

 
At Wed May 24, 11:25:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

ah, yes the kicking of the chair, i'd almost forgotten about that one. and I can't imagine that Leeds would be top of your list of places to visit. It's just an ordinary northern city, not pretty or touristy, but with an excellent film festival in November.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home