eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Thursday, August 21, 2008

now this really is lost in translation

I've been playing with babel fish translator this week.
What I found is that I can type some text in and translate it into a bunch of different languages. Fair enough that's what's it's for I can hear both dear readers think, you ain't so clever you know.
The fun part is translating it back to English again.
So, a phrase like- the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog, into Portuguese becomes

a raposa marrom rápida saltou sobre o cão preguiçoso
and then back to English becomes:
the fast brown fox jumped on the sluggish dog.

Or this quote from
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
into Korean:
I' 유감스러웠던 m, 나는 당신을 감명주는 것을 시도하고 있었다. I don' t는 의미하는 무슨을 알고 있다. I' ll는 정직하다, I don' t는 더 이상 의미하는 무슨을 누군가가 알고 있다는 것을 생각한다. 학자는 번역이 전에 년의 분실된 수백이었다는 것을 유지한다.
and then from Korean to English:
I' Sensibility the m is, you the impression week was attempting the thing. I don' t the low of meaning is knowing. I' ll is honest, I don' t any more under meaning who is knowing thinks the thing. Scholar maintains hundreds was things where the translation year is lossed before.


I know it's not big or clever but I found it amusing.
"don't judge me".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home