eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lost in Translation

...and then we moved back to England from Canada and I had a whole new set of stuff to miss.
I like distances in kilometers instead of miles, because as a friend said 'it means you get there quicker'.
I miss having a clean, safe underground system. Or 'tube' as people used to like saying to me, forgetting that that's only in London.
and I'm telling you, I'm missing the Canadian weather. The joke/cliche here in England is if you don't like the weather just wait 10 minutes or go 10 miles, is just not that funny. I took a photograph of the huge hail stones a couple of weeks ago. This time last year I had a tan. Me, a tan. A real one, not from a bottle. To most people this probably doesn't sound like a big deal but for me, big deal. I went on holiday to Greece a few years ago and when we got off the return flight the people waiting to board the plane were more tan than me.
I miss the Canadian National Anthem and the fact that people actually sing it . Not all the time you understand, like in the supermarket or doing the gardening, but at sporting events and other apt occasions.
And just when there was a chance of my french improving I move back here and there is no dual language on stuff.
As usual there is the things I don't miss. I won't miss Tim's coffee. Sorry but Tim Hortons coffee is terrible. I know to Canadians this is unholy talk, but the stuff is awful.
I wont miss hockey, yet more sacreligious talk! A long time ago in these very pages I wrote about hockey. My opinion hasn't changed.
And I most surely do not miss the DVP. Dear, lovely people of Toronto, there are other roads. These other roads go to the same places as the DVP - but quicker, because everyone in Toronto just uses the DVP.
So that's it. The moves and misses so far.
I'm not moving again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home