eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Here is the News

I check the Irish news website at least once a week to see what's happening back in the old country. If you're interested, it's here.
It's very different to the news here. For example, about 12 minutes in to the Nine o Clock news for Thursday, as part of a piece on Police breathalyser checkpoints, they listed the 25 people who died on the roads in November. Can't imagine that happening here. It was an odd thing to see.
There is also a tab there for Nuacht. That's the news in Irish.
My Irish was never very good in school, my spoken-Irish exam was embarrassing.
I have to say, if it wasn't for the pictures to go along with the story and the occassional word in English, I wouldn't have had a clue what the newsreader was talking about. I understood maybe one word in four, which maybe doesn't sound too bad until I tell you that those words I did get were the like of -'and', 'good', 'now' and 'again'.
I dare you all to have a listen.

5 Comments:

At Fri Dec 01, 10:44:00 a.m., Blogger Sweary said...

My Irish oral was great. I somehow managed to get into an argument with my examiner on Man Utd. Bhì sè go hiontach ar fad (yes, I know me fadas are the wrong way around. Blame my keyboard).

 
At Fri Dec 01, 10:52:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

I'm not going near "Irish Oral was great"


I was going to say its like me and French. I know mainly words for food, from Canadian packaging.

 
At Fri Dec 01, 03:38:00 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Ta me ag an doras. That's it.
I like to think that my conversational French is better, but I'm not too sure about that...

 
At Sun Dec 03, 07:14:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

SW- erm, if you say so. I think you said it was great but I'm reaching so....
SJ- I did much better in French at school, even got a B in final exams.
Sandra- you are a door?

 
At Mon Dec 04, 11:26:00 a.m., Blogger Maire said...

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an Leathris?

Which roughly translated means "even though we are in a non-English speaking country someone is listening to our conversation"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home