eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Sunday, March 18, 2007

I fought the law and .....

The following is an dialogue which took place between a TTC employee and me the other day.

Scene: afternoon, outside the subway/bus station.
Enter stage left, our main character, AJ carrying a couple of bags of shopping, on her way home.
A man runs in front of her and jumps on a waiting bus.

From behind (aggressively)"excuse me"
AJ assumes that man who ran in front of her bumped someone else who is less than happy about it so ignores the shout and carries on.
Again- " Excuse me"
Still no response from AJ.
And a third time even more aggressively"Excuse me"
AJ turns around to see two 'Constables' advancing towards her.
Cont 1(no that's not a spelling mistake): Where are you going?
AJ: Why?
Cont 1 : This is a fare-paid area and you haven't paid.
AJ: All I'm doing is walking across the car park and out that way (points to street, 20 feet away).
Cont 1: I can give you a fine of $500
AJ: For walking across a car-park?
Cont 1: There's a sign back there saying no entry and that you can be fined.
AJ: Are you serious?
Cont 2: There is a sign.
AJ: Well, I didn't see it and I walk across here all the time as I live just around the corner.
Cont 1: (aggressively)Where are you going?
AJ: (not as polite as I could have been)I just told you, I'm going home. I live just around the corner.
Cont 1: Have you got any ID.
AJ: Yes I do. (makes no effort to get it)well he didn't ask to see it
Cont 1 : Well give it to me then.
AJ: *sigh* ok, (hands him permanent resident card).
Cont 1: (condesending)I don't like your attitude. Where are you going?
AJ: (increasingly pissed off at these two fascists) I TOLD you, I'm going home. I live around the corner.
Cont 1:(flicking PR card with his fingers) I can fine you $500 dollars so improve your attitude. Show me something with your address on it and I'll do you a favour and let you off.
AJ: (muttering) oh for f... here! (hands him drivers licence)
Cont 1: (shoves both cards back at me having barely looked at second one) Go on then, I'll let you off.
AJ: hmpft (exits stage right - muttering- fucking fascist conts ....don't they have anything better to do...must be real proud of themselves....too many f-ing rules in this country....)

It was much later that I realised that they must have been standing inside the station building waiting to pounce.
And BREAKING NEWS.....apparently I have a bad attitude.
You know, all I did was match his attitude towards me, if he had been polite and explained to me (as a relative newcomer to the country) that the area was restricted, we both would have had a much better day.

4 Comments:

At Mon Mar 19, 12:44:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

The real police are full of dickheads. What you had there was a simple dork. Transit cop is the only thing left for them.

as for your attitude, I find you too restrained frankly. You should have made some reference to small genitalia compensation. With dorks, always go for the ego.

Nobody actually pays fines in Canada.

 
At Mon Mar 19, 12:56:00 p.m., Blogger Kathy said...

What is coming to mind is a song from the great rap satire "Fear of a Black Hat." called F*ck the Security Guards...what jerks, these rent a cops have no other way to feel important.

The town cop who pulled me over for speeding last week was very nice- and cute. (And yes, I was going a tad too fast- 41 in a 25 zone.)

Taffy

 
At Tue Mar 20, 10:29:00 a.m., Blogger Amanda said...

SJ, now I do feel restrained, knowing what you would have said to him! The problem was I wasn't sure how much power they have.
Taffy- you must have gotten away without a ticket if you still say he was cute.

 
At Tue Mar 20, 09:09:00 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

I read on Torontoist a while ago that they were lurking around to catch people in similar circumstances. Twits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home