eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Meals are at eleven, one, half-two, three, five, seven, and nine, and if you want a quick snack, you can just ask Mrs. Doyle there.


Ages ago (I am fairly sure it was not long after Christmas/New Year, yikes) our neighbours across the street invited us over for nibbles and drinks and the time has come to return the invitation.
They couldn't make it on the date I first suggested and somehow it turned into them coming over on St. Patricks Day.
Now this presents a few problems for me. I used to have a few cookbooks (most of them from me Mammy and sister, both better cooks than me) but when we moved over here I left them all behind what with them being big and heavy and all.
So what the hell am I going to cook for these people?
Bear in mind that they don't really know anything about Ireland (he thought it was part of the UK) and I have no idea what they know about Paddy's Day.
The mammy suggested Irish Stew. Despite the fact that Mr. eh and I are vegetarian and Irish stew is mostly lamb. But that's the trouble you see, most 'traditional ' Irish food is meat-based.
I'm really not sure that Irish stew would work with TVP.
Do I just make my staple dinner-party Mushroom Stroganoff?
Can anyone suggest something, not too complicated please, as I think I mentioned, I'm no Nigella. It's not that I can't cook, more that I can't be bothered with 5 hours preparing something that is gone in 15 minutes.

5 Comments:

At Thu Mar 15, 12:20:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mushroom risotto? It's very easy, and yummy.

 
At Thu Mar 15, 05:44:00 p.m., Blogger Mark Dowling said...

there were various recipes in the metro today (metronews.ca) - for the ones which have meat I guess you could use more guinness :)

http://www.metronews.ca/archive.aspx?pdfCity=toronto (15th)
(from p35 of the paper, p39 of the pdf)

 
At Thu Mar 15, 08:25:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the traditional Irish feel on Paddys Day I would recomend some pringles & beer as a light starter.

For main you could try chips & beer or pizza & beer, do not atempt desert - simply go back to the pringles & start again. repeat until ill.

E

 
At Thu Mar 15, 08:25:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

for the traditional Irish feel on Paddys Day I would recomend some pringles & beer as a light starter.

For main you could try chips & beer or pizza & beer, do not atempt desert - simply go back to the pringles & start again. repeat until ill.

E

 
At Sat Mar 17, 02:47:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

rachie- hmm, LOVE mushroom risotto...
Mark- thanks for that link, I'll have a look. Unfortunately, I can't stand Guinness, sorry.
E- do you recommend different flavour pringles for the starter and dessert?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home