eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Friday, June 16, 2006

and the magic 8 ball says- ask again later

In between avoiding the Employment Resource Centre resident personality and trying to read the same paragraph 3 times I booked a practice interview session.
I was surprised to find there was a spot open for the next day so the summer student, Kevin, booked me in for 3pm.
The next day, after only 3 changes of clothes I'm back in the office at 2.35pm.
Kevin is not on the desk today and everyone is busy, the place is busy, and after a couple of minutes I get to talk to someone who takes a copy of my resume/C.V. and goes off to tell the person doing my interview that I'm in the office.
But then she comes over to me and starts explaining to me that Kevin shouldn't have booked me a spot, she had told everyone in the office not to book that spot but apparently not told Kevin. The reason, she explained, they had planned a *whispers* fire drill.
As she is telling me this, literally 5 seconds after she whispers the words 'fire drill' the fire alarm goes off.
Next thing I know some people are wearing red hard hats and ordering everyone to leave, walk down the stairs beside the inside wall. The office is on the 6th floor and I can hear complaining at having to wallk down all those stairs.
All I can think ?
fer fecks sake, now I can't even get a practice interview!

7 Comments:

At Fri Jun 16, 01:12:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

you may be interested to know I worked two summers for what was then called Employment and Immigration Canada.

 
At Fri Jun 16, 06:35:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

did you book people into non-existent interview slots too!?
wait a second, is your real name Kevin?

 
At Sat Jun 17, 08:11:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, that's why you do not answer my e-mails: Fake interviews and this blog!
Greetings from the Netherlands.

Cristina and Jarle

 
At Sat Jun 17, 08:39:00 p.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

No, nobody wanted a job where I was, so I set out old yogurt cups and we played mini golf all day.

I have a cousin named kevin, he is the kevin in the Brokeback Welders cartoon on mine.

 
At Sun Jun 18, 04:29:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

hi Cristina and Jarle! how are you both? and Tina, tsk, lying on the internet, you would have to send me an email for me to answer it!!
only joking, speak to you soon.

 
At Mon Jun 19, 11:34:00 p.m., Blogger exile said...

i worked for the county (aka the man) and they were so burricratic that the fire drills (which should have been kept secret) were announced a month in advance. the fire drill committies would debate over it, then we'd have the drill.

they were so planned out and announced that some people would plan their lunches so that they wouldn't be there when it started. (longer lunch)

so we never really practiced for what would happen if there was a real fire, just if we all wanted to go outside.

 
At Mon Jun 19, 11:48:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

exile, at an old workplace people would hear the fire alarm, stop what they were doing then go to their office, get the jacket/wallet/bag/pack of cigs and then go outside. Usually stopping within 2 feet of the door and preventing the people behind being able to get through the crowd. then stand around and laugh about how maimed they would be if the fire was real and they were so close....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home