eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Monday, January 01, 2007

Room 101

"You asked me once," said O'Brien, "what was in Room 101. I told you that you know the answer already. Everybody knows. The thing in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."
Room 101 was the torture chamber introduced to the world in the novel 1984 by George Orwell.
Most people know this.
A lot of people also know about the BBC radio and TV series.
Over the years that the show has been running, the guests have consigned some of the most annoying things to the room; including cricket, Jeremy Clarkson, God and novelty underpants.
All worthy additions.
I have a few of my own to add.
Impenetrable packaging. Why does everything have to be wrapped up so securely that the only way in is with a carving knife? I'm a bit of a toiletries junkie, I love lotions and bath gels and all of it. Christmas day, I have a box of newly acquired supplies(not the one you got me Stella, that was relatively easy to get in to). First the ribbon around the box. Managed that one using my teeth. Then the box is sealed on each side. Each bottle is secured to the plastic tray with a sticky pad. Finally I have the bottle in my hand, only to find, a plastic seal around the lid too.
Four levels of defence for shower gel.
Television shows that force me to shout at the TV. I'm talking about you CSI, also looking in the direction of anyone who tries to do an Irish accent and don't think you are getting away with it American car ads. When the 'scientists' on CSI manage to grow up a pure fungus sample in an hour, the geek in me wants to punch them, or at least flick their ear.
American car ads, which we get when he is watching his team, tend to be either 'look how great this car is, you get 4 miles to the gallon' or 'this is the best country in the world and if you don't buy this car you are not American'.
Does any one know if putting your foot through a TV screen hurts?

I think this may be a recurring theme....
What do you want to go into Room 101?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Mon Jan 01, 04:47:00 a.m., Blogger Kathy said...

Amnada,

What a great post!

Here are my additions to Room 101-

1. The Bush Administration
2. Tom Cruise and friends
3. Anyone on Fox News
4. Anyone who makes returning things at stores difficult.
5. Fluffernutter (don't know if its still made but just the thought of marshmallow and peanut butter is enough to upset my stomach)

Happy New Year Year Amanda!!!
PS Your boy George is going to be on the Tonight Show this week.

Taffy

 
At Mon Jan 01, 02:48:00 p.m., Blogger Sandra said...

Happy new year to your good self and Citizen146. Good list. May I add my ex, BBC/ITV programme schedulers and rude young people?

 
At Tue Jan 02, 09:23:00 a.m., Blogger SkookumJoe said...

executionees who won't dig their own graves. These sorts of things only work when everyone participates.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 08:49:00 p.m., Blogger Amanda said...

all duly banished to Room 101.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home