eh

Originally from Dublin, Ireland. Moved to London and then Leeds, England, I now live in Toronto, Canada. Oh and now back again. Anyway, you can take the woman out of Ireland but, you know the rest. Basically the stuff on here will be the same no matter where I am. Ramblings and rantings about stuff, some from Canada.Some of them really do say 'eh' ~~~~~ "ascertaining the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed"

Saturday, April 29, 2006

with a zed

Trying to get a roofing company to come out to the house the other day I had the by now completley usual and preditable game of spelling my name.
18 years of living in England meant that EVERY time I said my name I automatically spelt it, especially as people were keen to put a 'w' in.
Is that with a w? they would say, I could never understand this compulsion to foist this exta unnecessary letter on me so after about the twentyith time this happened I said , no with an x and a z. Silence and even over the phone I could almost here the ? wha?.
The Canadians, bless them, don't appear to have this urge to promote the letter w as much as their English cousins.
But one of the roofing companies (remember, that's where I started this) well, the woman I spoke to was hilarious. We got ot the taking of details part of the call and I automatically spelt my name after saying it. She sounded like this was the most bizarre collection of letters she had ever heard. F? yes I said, OH?, uh huh, EL?, yep, EE?, yeesss, WHY?, that's correct. And then an almost inaudible hmmm. This is Toronto, the city the United Nations has designated as the World's "most ethnically-diverse city" five times in a row? And she has a problem with the name made famous by, well, yes. Beverly Hills Cop- Axel Foley, a WWE wrestler- Mick Foley and Dave Foley, Canadian actor/writer/comedian. Not much of a line up is it?
It's a fairly popular name back home in Ireland, we even had Foley neighbours. On one visit home I had to book tickets and went into the familar spell-my-name thing and the woman I was speaking to was most insulted that I would think she couldn't spell such a simple name.
Well none of the roofing contractors called back to arrange an appointment so I have to start all over again.
yes I did notice the spelling mistake yeterday, but only after I posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home